Good Dee's Sicilian Orange Cake
Missing those citrus sweets on Keto? We are too. We miss all those glorious fruity notes in our pound cake, sweet cakes, cookies and pies. So, we decided to pick apart our fruity desires and make something that is still sugar free and low carb. Does Sicilian Orange Cake sound like everything your Keto heart desires?
Let's get to the sweet part...
Here's what you'll need:
Sicilian Orange Cake Servings: 12
Calories per Serving: 102
- Yogurt, butter, and eggs need to be at room temperature, so allow 30-60 minutes
- Before starting to mix the cake ingredients listed, wash, quarter, and seed the whole orange, and then process in a food processor or blender until you have a purée consistency (some small pieces are good, they add texture to the finished cake)
- medium bowl
- two spring form pans or an 8” cake pan
- aluminum foil
- food processor/blender
Ingredients for the cake:
14g butter or coconut oil, softened
28g yogurt, room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 package Good Dee’s yellow snack cake mix 1 whole Valencia orange, puréed, at least 100g
1. Preheat oven to 325f/160c
2. Line two 4” springform pans or one 8” cake pan with aluminum foil and parchment; grease bottom and sides well
3. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, butter, yogurt, and vanilla extract
4. Add yellow cake mix along with 100g of the orange purée, and stir to combine
5. Pour the cake mix into the pan(s) in even layer(s)
6. If using two 4” springform pans, bake for 20 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 300f, and bake for another 15 minutes; if using an 8” cake pan, bake according to package instructions, or until the center of the cake looks set (no jiggle) and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
This cake can be portioned and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week, and can also be frozen. Wrap in individual portions and thaw in the refrigerator.